Top 3 Walk-In Bathtubs in Canada
Seniors Bulletin Ratings
Walk-in Bathtub For Seniors
Falls are a part of life albeit an unpleasant one. They can occur at any period in any place and under any circumstance. While effects felt from falls are mild in a lot of cases, serious falls can also ensue. One observation of note however is that there is a direct relationship between the effects suffered and the age of the individual. That is, the older the person, the increase in the likelihood of suffering more serious adverse effects.
According to statistics by Visually,
“79% of all the bathroom injuries among people 65 years and older occur due to bathroom slips and falls. 33% of these seniors required hospital admission following the bathroom accidents”.
The above statistics highlights the importance of walk-in bathtubs towards minimizing risk factors relating to falls.
Below we will explore all aspects of walk-in bathtubs and also offer insight into the best walk-in bathtub manufacturers to consider when planning to make a purchase.
Walk-in bathtubs also known as walk-in tubs and step-in tubs, simply put are tubs that are designed to be entered by “walking” in. These kinds of tubs are intended for those who have difficulty climbing in and out of traditional bathtubs, thereby eliminating many of the possible risk factors that could quite possibly contribute to slipping and falling.
One particularly distinct factor differentiating between the traditional bathtub and walk-in tub is the presence of a molded seat in the latter which enables users to take a bath while remaining upright, in a seated position. This makes walk-in tubs of particular value to seniors with limited mobility and those who have trouble standing or bending.
Features Of A Walk In Tub
The features of a walk-in tub appear to be generic across the board however, depending on the manufacturer, walk-in bathtubs may contain added luxury and therapeutic features.
Safety Features Of A Walk-In Tub
A good walk-in tub must contain several safety features to guarantee users protection from falls. A walk-in tub should contain the following safety features:
The floors of most walk-in bathtubs are grooved to prevent slipping and falling of users when they are standing in the walk-in tub. These grooves are similar to those found on non-slip mats and essentially, they serve the same function.
Safety Grab Bars
Many walk-in tubs contain built-in grab bars to provide additional safety and stability inside the tub. Grab bars, just like a cane or walker, protect users by taking some of their weight and balance off their feet. Safety grab bars are so important that some walk-in tubs even have more than one!
Bath Door Seal
In contrast to a traditional tub, which requires users to climb over the bathtub frame, a walk-in tub has a gated door mechanism. These bath doors are lined with rubber seals to prevent water leakage from the tub which could constitute a fall hazard outside of the tub. This tub component is so important that several manufacturers provide a lifetime warranty on it along with walk-in tub purchases.
Standard walk-in tubs can be divided into two major types depending on the type of door fitted to the walk-in tub frame.
A standard walk-in tub will either have an outward opening door or an inward swinging door. The distinction between the door types and their importance is explained below.
Inward Swinging Doors
Walk-in tubs fitted with inward swinging doors are ideal for conditions where the bathroom space is limited. Since the door swings inward, there is more usable space in small bathrooms.
Also, these walk-in tub types offer added protection in that they are designed to prevent tub door opening until all water has been drained from the tub thereby preventing water leakage out of the tub.
A downside to this walk-in tub design is that the door tends to limit ease of movement inside the tub.
Outward Swinging Doors
Walk-in tub models with an outward swinging door are ideal for use in bathrooms where space is not limited.
As the name suggests, the door of the walk-in tub swings outwardly thereby eliminating the problem of mobility associated with inward swinging door tubs.
Wheelchair-accessible tubs with outward opening doors are ideal for people with mobility issues. They allow users to easily transfer from chair to tub.
Major cons of these walk-in tub types however include the fact that they lack the “spill protection” offered by inward swinging door walk-in tubs. As such, if the door is opened accidentally, water may flow from the tub onto the floor where it constitutes a fall hazard. Also, the door may interfere with other items in the room especially if the space available is limited.
Luxury And Therapeutic Features Of A Walk-in Tub
Besides the basic general and safety features found in many walk-in tub models, several walk-in tub manufacturers also produce runs with luxury and therapeutic features inclusion to provide maximum benefits to users.
These features include:
- Handheld Shower Head – This is a walk-in tub luxury feature ideal for individuals with limited mobility. The walk-in tub’s showerheads are detachable thereby making it easy to reach and rinse any part of your body.
- Massage Systems – The majority of walk-in tubs will have either air jets or water jet circulation systems in the bath walls that assist in circulating water in the tub and massaging the user’s body. This circulation system also helps in maintaining water temperature levels.
- Heated Surfaces – Luxury tubs have heated surfaces designed to provide additional heat to the user’s neck and back areas. Heated seats are also present.
Other luxury and therapeutic walk-in tub inclusions are self-cleaning, push button control, and Scald-prevention technology.
Types Of Walk In Bathtubs
A soaker tub is a basic walk-in bathtub model. It lacks hydrotherapy jets and is less expensive in general than other models with additional features. A soaker tub is only equipped with a showerhead and a grab bar.
As the name implies, a bariatric tub is a walk-in tub specifically designed to be used by larger people. Like other bathtub types, a bariatric tub can be customized with luxury inclusions to the user’s taste and preference.
Walk-In showers are the ideal option for individuals who prefer the use of showers in their baths. Furthermore, walk-in tub companies also include a seat in some models for additional ease and overall user safety.
Wheelchair accessible tubs
A wheelchair-accessible tub is designed to facilitate easy transport of the user from a wheelchair into the bathtub. These tub types are usually equipped with an outward swinging door as these door type makes the bathtub more wheelchair accessible.
A hydrotherapy tub has several luxury features like air and water jets that help in the circulation of water and maintain heat within the bathtub. These tubs can be used to aid in the relaxation of stiff joints and muscles and overall, give users a spa-like experience.
Hydrotherapy bathtubs that use water jets are known as whirlpool tubs while those with air jets are known as air bathtubs.
Important Things To Consider Before You Purchase A Walk-in Tub
Since walk-in tubs come in different sizes, you’ll want to be sure the size you’re about to purchase will be big enough for the person the walk-in tub is intended for.
You should also factor in the installation location. If the walk-in tub is too big, it may not fit where you want to have it installed and so you’ll need to create extra space or even change the installation location.
As discussed above, there are several types of walk-in tubs. You should assess each walk-in tub type and select the walk-in tub type that most matches what you need. For example, if what you need is just a basic walk-in tub, you don’t need to go purchase a hydrotherapy tub that offers a spa-like experience when a soaker tub would have been sufficient to meet your needs. Plus, compared to soaker bathtubs, hydrotherapy tubs are a more expensive option.
Based on the type of bathtub and the luxury features included, the overall cost of a walk-in bathtub (plus installation) could be from $1,500 to over $20,000.
Ease Of Use
One very important factor you do not want to overlook in your considerations is ease of use. You will want to ask the manufacturers questions like:
- Is the tub self-cleaning?
- Are the doors inward or outward swinging?
- What is the step in height?
- Is the tub wheelchair accessible?
All these questions are aimed at helping you select the right walk-in tub option for you.
Maintenance And Repairs
You will also want to enquire from your walk-in tub manufacturer if the tub is easy to maintain and about possible repairs or replacement options in the event of damage to the walk-in tub.
Providers Of The Best Walk In Tubs In Canada
Since there are several manufacturers in the walk-in tub industry, people often have questions like “which walk-in tub companies are ideal for my need?” Or “I need to know which walk-in tub companies actually offer quality”. The purpose of this section is to:
- expose you to the best walk-In tub companies
- highlight the pros and cons of each company where they exist
All to assist you in your search for the perfect walk-in tub provider.
There are several walk-in tub providers in Canada however here is a list of the best ones highlighting their pros and their cons to help you make a decision on which you find most acceptable. So without further delay, let’s get right into it!
Best Walk-In Tubs in Canada
Safe Bathing Canada
Safe Bathing Canada is a walk-in tub manufacturer with over 20 years of experience in ensuring safe, enjoyable baths for seniors. With a wide range of high-quality products for any application, from economy to luxury, personal to commercial Safe Bathing Canada maintains its position as an industry leader in the manufacture of walk-in tubs.
- Wide range of walk-in tub products ensures you’ll always be able to find one that suits your needs.
- Established market presence
- Free information kit available upon request.
- Walk-In tubs are constructed with high-quality materials.
- Presence of a variety of bath options such as aromatherapy, chromotherapy, and hydrotherapy.
- Prompt response to complaints
- Information kit may only be made available upon request.
- There have been occasional complaints about intervention speed.
Overall, Safe Bathing Canada appears to be an ideal walk-in tub manufacturer and the company also has a lot of positive reviews.
Canadian-owned and operated, Safe Step is a walk-in tub manufacturer that specializes in the manufacture of excellent walk-in tubs that offer maximum comfort. Safe Step boasts of a wide range of walk-in bathtubs including the uncommon “hybrid” walk-in tubs.
- Safe Step tubs are designed to be a perfect fit (size-wise) when compared with your existing tub thereby reducing costs and avoiding major home remodeling.
- Free consultation
- Professional installation
- Wide range of products
- Little remodeling required during the installation of walk-in tubs
- Walk-in tubs are available at comparatively cheaper costs.
- Lifetime warranty and discounts on purchases are available.
- Communication problems with company personnel often leave users dissatisfied
- There have been some complaints about installation problems.
- Only 10 hydro jets are available in the walk-in tubs.
Safe Step has a lot of positive customer reviews and excellent walk-in tub options. However, there are some communications and installation complaints so you will want to take note of this.
The Walk-in Tub Company
Although not a manufacturer, The Walk-In Tub Company (TWTC) is an established industry presence. TWTC is the exclusive distributor and authorized installer of American Standard’s ComfortSeriesTM walk-in and accessible outward-opening bathtubs. Beyond this, TWTC also provides several other senior living aids from several brands.
- Free installation estimate
- You can also request a mobile showroom visit.
- Quality and Dependability
- Product Warranty on purchases
- Walk-In tub installation by certified professionals.
- Despite being a distributor, TWTC only offers one walk-in tub option.
American Standard is a manufacturer devoted to the provision of innovative, groundbreaking daily living solutions. For over 140 years, American Standard has been an industry leader that has set and reset the standards for health, safety, and convenience.
- Several quality options to choose from.
- Walk-In tub prices are available online
- Return and refund policies are also available for eligible items.
- Not all products are covered by warranty.
- Installation costs and requirements may vary with the walk-in tub chosen.
Kohler Walk in Bath
With over 140 years of engineering excellence and experience, Kohler is a manufacturer dedicated to the production of only the highest quality walk-in tubs. Kohler walk-in tubs possess features such as very low Step in height and extra-wide doors to further guarantee user safety.
- Several walk-in bath design options
- One-day installation.
- Custom fits are also available
- Kohler offers some of the lowest-priced walk-in tubs on the market.
- Lifetime warranty on eligible products
- Free Quote
- Walk-in tub prices cannot be accessed online.
- Walk-in tub upgrades are expensive.
- Does not offer lifetime warranty on all walk tub products.
Walk-in Tubs Ontario
Walk-in Tubs Ontario is one of the leading providers of walk-in tubs in Ottawa and throughout Eastern Ontario. By partnering with a Canada-based walk-in tub manufacturer, they have been able to ensure adequate local distribution of only the highest quality walk-in tub products. Walk-In Tub’s partnership with a walk-in tub manufacturer that has over 20 years of experience ensures that you’ll be getting walk-in tubs from an established industry presence with a record of success and excellence.
- Lifetime warranty
- Free consultation and estimates
- Local provider status translates to accessibility
- Silicone pillows are offered with walk-in tubs to improve reclining comfort.
- Walk-In tubs offered are from only one manufacturer
- Walk-In tub prices are not available online
Wayfair was established in 2002 and has since then grown to be a recognized, leading provider of just about any household item you might need, including walk-in tubs. By utilizing technological innovation, Wayfair has allowed shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want. Wayfair offers over 22 million items spanning home furnishings, housewares, home improvements, and more so you can be certain that whatever you’re looking for, you will likely find them here.
- A wide range of walk-in tub options are available
- Prices are available online
- Free shipping
- Customer ratings on products available to assist decision-making.
- 30-day money-back guarantee and 2-year warranty
- Strict return policy
- No lifetime warranty on products.
Bath Depot is a family-owned Canada-based walk-in tub manufacturer with over 20 years of experience providing quality bathtubs. One distinguishing factor between Bath Depot and other manufacturers is the fact that Bath Depot serves as its own manufacturer, distributor, and retailer! This coupled with the fact that they are a local company pretty much guarantees easy access to quality bathtubs at reasonable prices. Bath Depot currently has close to 40 stores in Quebec and Ontario, as well as over 280 employees. Bath Depot also serves as a distributor for some other manufacturer brands.
- Local manufacturer, distributor and retailer status guarantees easy access to quality walk-in tubs
- Competitive prices
- Return and exchange policy available
- Wide product range
- Prices are available online
- Discounts are also available
- No lifetime warranty
Home Depot was founded in 1978 as a revolutionary hardware store for home improvement and the retail industry. Currently, Home Depot is one of the world’s largest home improvement retailers. With an extensive North American presence consisting of over 2,300 stores Home Depot has ensured consistent and convenient delivery of excellence and quality to customers, associates, communities, and shareholders.
- Prices are available online
- Home Depot offers walk-in tubs from different manufacturers so there are several walk-in tub options available for you to choose from
- Competitive prices
- Returns and special prices are also available
- Limited warranty
Home Depot offers several home improvement products. They also offer walk-in tubs from different manufacturers. If you are looking for walk-in tub options, Home Depot is a good place to start.
So Which is the Best Walk-in Bathtub in Canada?
It depends on what features you are prioritizing – whether that be price, comfort, design or something else. We’ve reviewed over 15 Canadian and US walk-in tub companies and rated each one to help you pick the best tub in Canada for your needs.