Phased retirement has emerged as a workplace strategy that enables older employees to gradually transition from full-time work to retirement, by reducing their responsibilities and
Home Security Systems for Seniors in Canada
TELUS SmartHome Security offers a wide selection of home security systems across Canada. Whether you’re interested in keeping your home safe and secure with 24/7 professional monitoring, or making your life easier with smart home automation, they have a plan for your unique needs.
3 Home Security Companies that are Good for Seniors
- Rogers Smart Home Monitoring: Rogers Smart Home Monitoring offers a wireless home security system that is easy to use and includes features like two-way voice communication and 24/7 monitoring. They also offer a mobile app that makes it easy for seniors to control and monitor their security system from anywhere.
- Telus Home Security: Telus Home Security offers a range of home security systems, including medical alert systems, that are designed to meet the needs of seniors. They offer wireless and portable systems, 24/7 monitoring, and easy-to-use emergency buttons. Their systems are also compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, making it easy for seniors to control their security system using voice commands.
Note: Telus has acquired both ADT and Vivint Home Security Systems in Canada.
- Bell Home Security: Bell Home Security offers a range of home security systems that are designed to meet the needs of seniors. Their systems include 24/7 monitoring, wireless and portable systems, and easy-to-use emergency buttons. They also offer medical alert systems that are designed specifically for seniors. Additionally, their systems are compatible with smart home devices, making it easy for seniors to control and monitor their security system using voice commands or a mobile app.
As the population ages, the need for home security systems that cater to the specific needs of seniors is becoming increasingly important. Seniors often have different security needs than younger individuals, and it’s important to choose a system that can meet those needs effectively.
Key Security Features For Seniors
Below, we will discuss the key features to look for in a home security system for seniors specifically in Canada.
Systems that are Easy to Use
One of the most important features of a home security system for seniors is ease of use. Seniors may find it difficult to use complex security systems with multiple buttons and controls. A simple and intuitive system with large buttons and easy-to-read displays is the best option for seniors.
Wireless and Portable Alarms
A wireless and portable home security system is ideal for seniors, as it allows them to take the system with them if they move or travel. This can provide peace of mind, as seniors can always be protected, no matter where they are.
A 24/7 monitoring service is essential for a home security system for seniors. In case of an emergency, seniors may not be able to call for help on their own, and a monitoring service can provide quick response and peace of mind.
Some home security systems offer medical alerts, which can be a lifesaver for seniors. With the push of a button, seniors can call for help in case of a medical emergency, such as a fall or heart attack.
Fall detection is a feature that can automatically send an alert to the monitoring center if a senior falls. This can be a valuable feature, as falls are a common and serious concern for seniors.
Easy to Install
A home security system that is easy to install, without the need for complex wiring or drilling, is ideal for seniors. A system that is easy to set up and does not require extensive technical knowledge can provide peace of mind for both the senior and their loved ones.
Large Font Display
A home security system with a large font display is easier for seniors to read and understand. This can make it easier for seniors to monitor their system and respond to alerts.
Voice activation can make it easier for seniors to control their home security system without having to physically manipulate buttons. This can be especially useful for seniors who have difficulty with manual dexterity.
2 Major Factors When Choosing A Home Security System
- Cost: Home security systems can be expensive, and it’s important for seniors to consider their budget when choosing a system. It’s also important to compare different systems and the features they offer to ensure that you get the best value for your money. Are you looking for a one time fee with self monitoring? Or continuous monthly payments with round the clock monitoring?
- Reliability: Seniors need a home security system that is reliable and will work when needed. It’s important to choose a system from a reputable company with a proven track record of reliability.
In conclusion, when choosing a home security system for seniors, it is important to consider the specific needs of the senior. A system with large buttons, easy-to-read displays, and 24/7 monitoring can provide peace of mind and help keep seniors safe. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the best home security system for each individual senior.
Pet therapy, also known as animal-assisted therapy, has gained recognition as an effective non-pharmacological treatment for many patients, including seniors. It is a goal-oriented intervention